My first solo day
Posted by VQT
Left our hotel at 7:40. Went through the usual frustration of finding the way out of town. Camino is almost always well marked except in cities. Ended up walking with a Bulgarian woman who lives in Germany along with several other lost & confused Camino people. Part of the problem today is you can walk one of two routes - coastal or inland - the Camino markings didn’t distinguish which route they were for. I wanted to walk the inland route. It took a while but finally was on the correct route. Then the rain started. The Bulgarian woman went into a cafe and I thought I’ll stop at the next one - there wasn’t a next one! Eventually stopped at a small open church where two high school girls were selling drinks, protein bars etc to raise money for a trip to World Youth Celebration (I think) taking place in Korea next summer. Got to sit down - that’s one of the problems with walking in the rain there’s no resting. A British couple we’d met the day before walked in and I left there walking with them.
The trails, cobblestone roads, the rocky paths were flooded.
I walked solo most of today except initially leaving town and for a while with the British couple. It was a different experience than having LP with me. It is more fun to share the experience with someone.
Didn’t take many photos - too wet for the phone and my fingers were so “pruned” I couldn’t work the phone
Arrived to meet up with LP after walking for 6 hours. Walked approximately 12 total miles. Definitely a slow paced day. My shoes might not dry overnight but that’s okay - there’s more rain tomorrow.
Photo: One of the high school girls selling snacks. She’s holding a cross stitch of postage stamps that she’s working on.



This was a tough day. But a laugh came out at the last paragraph- your high tech rain jackets kept you soaking wet! Warm up and dry out with a beer on hand!
ReplyDeleteOh wow! Maybe you can find one of those pink raincoats along the way. I hate for you that it’s so rainy. Hope you have a nice meal tonight.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a day of looking for the location to pick up the hotel key after 4 bottles of vino tinto 🤣 adding in rain and puddles. Stop sounds like an amazing day and filled with good people you meet along the way. Wishing I was there with you all.
ReplyDeleteWishing you were here 😘
DeleteSorry it’s so rainy there. We got a BRIEF shower this morning, but it wasn’t nearly enough. I’ll trade!
ReplyDeleteOh no! Nothing worse than getting soaked under an expensive rain jacket! Too funny that the cheap plastic one worked great. Hope tomorrow is better!
ReplyDelete